Join us at the Thursday Moms Group tomorrow as we discuss practical ways we can practice good discipline, focussed on our child's heart, not just their behavior. We will be looking at Chapter 5 of our study, based on Colossians 2:20 - 3:10. Here are some questions for reflection:
- Think about the last time you disciplined your child. Was the focus of your explanation on their behavior or their heart?
- Think about the wrong ways of disciplining that aim at controlling your child. Are there any that you recognize in your life?
- Manipulation ("Your sister did it ok.")
- Fear ("You won't know what's hit you.")
- Bribery ("I'll give you a sweet if you shut up.")
- Emotionalism ("After all I've done for you.")
- Inconsistency ("Okay, just this once.")
- The bible speaks of many different interventions we can make into a child's life: encouragement, correction, rebuke, instruction, warning, teaching and prayer. Pick a recent example of bad behavior. Think how you could have intervened in each of these ways. Which would have been best for that occasion?
- Look at Proverbs 4:18-23. What guidance is there for parenting?
We will meet this Thursday March 08 from 9.30 - 11.30am at 2/F Island ECC. Refreshments and childcare provided. Newcomers always welcome!